Recently we did 2 podcast episodes on our Very Favorite Decorating Tips. I thought you might enjoy all of that information all in one blog post. I suspect you know all of these, but sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of them. I hope you are doing well during these crazy times. I know I wasn’t focused much on decorating when the pandemic was in the early stages, but the longer I stayed home, the more I realized (once again) how important it is to have a home that is restful and beautiful for the people who live there. This is not trivial. Can you imagine being stuck at home every day in a house you hate? Most people I hear from love their homes, and that makes me so happy!
You can listen to the episodes below, but I’ve pulled out some of my favorite tips and listed here below.
- Consider the big picture before you start decorating
- Take a photo of the room before you start. It will reveal truths your eyes might be ignoring.
- Go bold in small spaces
- Use unmatched chairs at the table
- Use a Limited color palette
- Make sure that the room has points of height in the room
- Cluster your collection together in one place
- Layer patterns
- Use outdoor fabrics in the kitchen and dining room
- Have tables near chairs in the living room so people can set a drinking glass there
- Unify your collection by sticking to just one color
- Use rugs in the house to provide a warm and cozy feel to the room