Homemade roller shades? Yes… well… semi-homemade.
I started with my old roller shades, so yes that’s where the “semi” comes in, you have to buy a roller shade to start with unless you are really more talented with metal work than I am. Here’s what the windows looked like before. (CAUTION: BRIGHT COLORS, PUT ON YOUR SUNGLASSES)
Very red, yes I know. But all of the red in here is now gone. I have completely changed over from vibrant red to calming neutrals. (I’ve been sewing like crazy for a week.) I have much more to show you, and I can’t wait for you to see the whole room, now that it is done. Here’s how I made the custom roller shades. I already had roller shades in my room, so I took the roller down from it’s mounting (it just lifts out.) Then I removed the shade from the roller. There were two plastic clips that hold the fabric on the roller, they came off very easily also, and I set them aside, since I reused them. Next I removed the white liner from the roller shades.
I then used the fabric from the roller shade as a template and cut a piece of fabric exactly the same size as the old one. I used linen fabric for my shades. (True confessions – after I cut the fabric for the first roller shade it seemed a bit small, so I cut the next one 1 inch wider and that worked perfectly.) If you have to make your own liner, (mine already had one) it should be a bid shorter than the shade since it won’t have the rod pocket on the bottom, but the width should be the same. Next, I sewed the liner onto the new shade just the same way it had been attached to the old one, which was a seam all along the top, and two side seams down each side for about 3 inches just long enough for the length of the top rod pocket. This way when the roller was inserted the liner wouldn’t bunch up, but would stay in place. I made sure to include enough length to the shade for a rod pocket at top for the roller, and a rod pocket at the bottom, for the wood dowel.
I pressed the rod pocket seams and sewed them with a simple, straight stitch. I used fabric glue along the edges of the shade to prevent them from fraying. (You don’t want to do a hem on the sides, since it would make the sides thicker than the rest of the shade. The thicker ends would pucker and bunch up when the shade was rolled up.) After allowing the glue to dry, I put the shade back on the roller.
Next, I added the clips back on the roller to keep the shade in place.
Almost done, I added the wood dowel back in the pocket at the bottom of the shade, and hung them back up.
Here’s a photo with one new shade and one old one.
As you can see from the photos I also made a new valence for the windows. I can’t get over how much more peaceful and spacious the room looks with the cream color instead of the red. Some other changes in the room include the very large and gorgeous basket I got (with the thanks from some bloggers who mentioned it) from Hobby Lobby. Sadly they are all gone now… the baskets, not the bloggers. I also moved some lamps from the study to my bedroom. I love these lamps, but everything was just too brown in the study. Here I think they work beautifully.
I also changed out the mirror, and blogged about it, here.
Yes, this is a teaser. You can see there’s a new chair in here, the bedding is new (I made it) and the settee in the corner has been slipcovered (I did that too.) I’ll do a big reveal next week, so come back. To see the slipcover tutorial for this room, click here. To see the new bedding, click here.